The Black Knight series is well-known in pinball circles, with the original Steve Ritchie designed machine released back in 1980 by Williams. Williams and Ritchie also released a sequel in 1989 by the name of Black Knight 2000, making Sword of Rage the 3rd in line.
In this title, players finally take on the intimidating Black Knight, who towers over the playfield in the center of the game as a 3D toy. In his right hand he wields an impressive, spinning flail; in his left, a stalwart shield to block the player’s shots. This toy also features independently controlled LED lights in each eye, making for a striking character effect.
See the Premium model in action from this factory produced trailer!
All Black Knight models pit players against this evil creature and his skeleton army, as you attempt to defeat him and lay waste to his dark castle. They also feature the return of the “Magna-Save” feature, which allows players to capture a ball that will potentially drain by skillfully hitting the Magna-Save button; you also can access a “Retro Mode” that plays music from Black Knight 2000. Each model also features pinball staples like ramps, pop-bumpers and a dazzling multi-color LED light-show. Here are the basic game rules:
The Premium & Limited Edition (LE) models include extra features that are not found in the Pro, to make for a more complete experience. The primary difference is the inclusion of a clear Lexan upper playfield. This allows you to see the pop-bumpers below, while getting a 3rd flipper and additional targets/shots in an experience similar to the original Black Knight games. This area also includes a 3-ball multi-ball catapult lock mechanism.
Premium/LE models also include a stainless steel Flail lane floor protector, a half pipe upper playfield entrance; additional RGB LED lights, a single drop target in the Castle VUK lane and more. Click here to download/view the full Black Knight: Sword of Rage Features Matrix.
LE models are limited to 600 units and feature it’s own unique art package, a shaker motor, anti-reflection glass, battlefield art blades, a high definition sound system and more.
Stern Pinball’s Black Knight: Sword of Rage Premium Features:
– Intense medieval theme with a rocking soundtrack composed and performed by guitarist Scott Ian of Anthrax.
– Voice overs and game call-outs provided by Steve Ritchie and Ed Robertson (frontman of the pop-rock band, Bare Naked Ladies)
– Playfield graphics by legendary artist Kevin O’Connor
– Includes: Interactive Black Knight 3D toy with spinning flail and moving shield; skill-based “Magna-Save” ball capture magnet; stainsteel steel & wireform ramps; HD LCD screen for vibrant animations.
– Click on the playfield image for a larger view! ->
– Standard features: 3 flippers; 26 RGB LED’s to indicate shots by color; 1 “Skeleton Lane” spinning target; 3 pop-bumpers; 2 Vertical Up Kicks (VUKs); 2 slingshots, 3-bank of drop targets; 1 user-controlled magnet; 2 electric gates and 6 standard balls.
– Premium/LE models include the upper playfield and extra features detailed in an above paragraph
– Also features a “Retro mode” where all of the sounds and music comes from the classic Black Knight games!
– Powered by Stern’s SPIKE-2 hardware system, which includes a 3 channel sound amp and line out.
– Plethora of operator adjustable features
– Also available in Premium and LE models
– Comes with a standard 2-slot coin door; DBA or card swipe ready