Bubble Bobble is a classic arcade game released by Taito in 1986, and like most arcade games of its era, it features simple yet very addictive gameplay that was easy to pick up and play, but quite difficult to master. The game itself needs no explanation, but we can safely say that it was popular enough to get ported to many, many consoles—over thirteen of them, in fact. It seemed like everyone wanted to get a piece of the popular bubble dragons Bub and Bob.
To celebrate the game’s 35th anniversary, arcade game manufacturer Numskull has designed a brand new quarter arcade replica of Bubble Bobble, at a 1/6 scale of the original, but featuring all the arcade goodness that once catapulted it into mainstream appeal. But while this cabinet would be a replica of Taito’s original, it also featured a few changes to modernize its appearance, including a brand new cabinet design. And just like many others in Numskull’s Quarter Arcade series, the miniature cabinet is completely playable, although you would probably struggle to fit two players in front of the small device.
On Numskull’s website, they describe this new product with the following:
Bubble Bobble Quarter Scale Arcade Cabinet
- Official Taito product – ¼ scale playable replica of the original 1980s Bubble Bobble arcade cabinet.
- Fully playable cabinet – plays the original arcade ROM on a bespoke emulator.
- Quarter Arcades #8: eighth in the series – collect them all to build your own miniature arcade.
- Realistic replica – precise replica features, with original touches from Taito helping to create a dedicated, authentic cabinet design.
- High quality – made for durability, playability, and portability.
- Play your way – internal dip switch settings let you play however you want, whenever you want.
- Portable and displayable – rechargeable internal battery lets you take it on the go, or display at home in attract mode.
- SRP: £149.99/$179.99.
- User manual can be downloaded here.
Numskull Designs is incredibly proud to team up with Taito for the eighth instalment in its Quarter Arcades range! One of the world’s most recognisable, iconic arcade games, and our most-requested addition by fans, Bubble Bobble stars the Bubble Dragons in their quests to complete the 100 levels of the Cave of Monsters and save their girlfriends. As well as being one of the first games to feature multiple endings, Bubble Bobble is amazingly fun in both single-player and co-op mode.
This official, fully playable, highly collectible ¼ scale replica features our first ever dual-joystick gameplay, authentic to the classic game. Due to the original not having a dedicated cabinet design, we’ve worked closely with Taito to create this one of a kind cabinet – featuring the original ROM and artwork, as well as official marquee, bezel, and control panel artwork from Taito designers. This collectible miniaturises the classic in an official, authentic way for the very first time, providing a dedicated cabinet long sought after by fans.
The Bubble Bobble Quarter Arcade cabinet is already available for purchase via several retailers including Just Geek and GameStop in the US, and across other storefronts across the world, at a very accessible MSRP of $180.
Thanks for reading! Here at PrimeTime Amusements, we like to keep ahead of the curve in arcade game rental and sales and pride ourselves in providing the best service in the country. If you’re looking for a game in particular, or have a few questions about the industry, feel free to give us a call at 1.800.550.0090 or to swing by at 5300 Powerline Rd. Suite 210, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, 33309.