Front Line is an arcade game that was developed and published by Taito in 1982. It established a classic genre of top-down run-and-gun games that were popular in the decade, where the player controls a soldier who must fight his way through enemy territory to reach their base and defeat their leader. The game is known for its challenging gameplay, varying levels of difficulty, and intense battles.
Front Line was one of the first games to popularize the run-and-gun genre, which would go on to influence many later games such as Contra and Metal Slug. It was also notable for its use of vertically scrolling levels, which added a new dimension of challenge and strategy to the gameplay.
In the game, the player takes control of a soldier who is dropped off at the beginning of each cycle. The soldier must make his way through a series of enemy-infested areas, avoiding enemy fire and destroying enemy soldiers and vehicles along the way. He can even get into a tank, providing for more firepower and a little bit of protection. At the end of each level, the player must face a challenging boss battle, which requires skill and strategy to overcome.
Overall, Front Line is a classic arcade game that’s still enjoyed by fans of retro gaming today.
In Front Line, you control a soldier from the “blue” army against the whole of the “green” army. You can fire in eight directions independent of the direction that you are walking, and you can toss grenades as well. Along the way to the green army’s base, you may encounter small or large tanks which you can hop into in order to fight against the green tanks. Eventually, you will reach the enemy base where you must lob a grenade at the fort’s defender to complete the stage. Then it starts all over again at a higher level of difficulty.
You control the blue soldier with the joystick. You control which direction he fires in with the control knob. Press one button to fire your machine gun. Press the other button to lob a grenade. You have unlimited ammo.
You will lose one life if you are shot, or touch any enemy soldier or tank. You can climb into blue tanks by walking up to them and pressing the grenade button. There are two different tanks; a small and maneuverable tank, and a larger slow, but powerful tank.
It’s important to keep in mind that you must continue to proceed upwards until you reach the enemy fort, and then throw a grenade at the fort’s defender to complete the stage. The game features different levels, each with increasing difficulty. As you progress through the cycles, the enemy soldiers and tanks become more valuable, making hunting them a rewarding effort at later levels.
List of Characters in Front Line
In Front Line, there are several characters and enemies that you will encounter during your mission. Here is a list of the main characters and enemies in the game:
- Player: This is you, the lone soldier of the blue army. You must progress through enemy territory and reach the enemy fort to complete the stage. You can shoot your gun in eight directions independent of the direction you are walking and lob an unlimited supply of grenades at the enemy.
- Enemy: The enemy is an endless wave of green army soldiers. Their bullets are lethal, and their touch can also harm you, so stay clear of them. They can only fire in the same eight directions as you, so try to stay in their blind spots where they can’t hit you.
- Small Tanks: Small tanks, whether yours or the enemy’s, are quick and nimble. They maneuver quickly across the terrain and can launch a volley of several shots in rapid sequence. Use this tool to take down other small tanks, although it will take two hits to take down the larger tanks.
- Large Tanks: The larger tanks are powerful, but far from indestructible. They are also slower than the small tanks, and make an easier target. Their long-range cannon can instantly take out any foe, large or small. However, they cannot bring down the fort defender, and you will need to exit your tank and lob a grenade to defeat him. Large tanks can sustain two hits, but if they get immobilized, you can hop out and reenter the tank to make it move again.
- Boulders & Landmines: The enemy will roll boulders in your direction, trying to squash you before you can even reach the tanks. Keep an eye out for these bouncing rocks of destruction as they can appear on either side. There are also landmines situated around the path to the fort that can create a hole in the ground if triggered. When they explode, they create a hole in the ground in which you can become stuck. If you happen to fall in, wait a certain amount of time and the hole will fill itself in, allowing you to proceed.
Knowing these characters and enemies will help you develop strategies and techniques to advance through the game and complete each stage.
Gameplay Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to help you survive and increase your score in Front Line:
- Use grenades wisely: Use grenades to take out enemy soldiers behind bushes or to blow up boulders. Don’t waste them on easy-to-kill enemies or in situations where you can easily dodge enemy fire.
- Take cover: Use walls, bushes, and other obstacles to take cover from enemy fire. The small pink brick wall to the left of the enemy fort is a great place to take cover while hunting enemy tanks.
- Aim carefully: Aim your gun towards the top of the screen to take out enemy soldiers as they appear. Use angle shots to take out enemies hiding behind bushes or running towards the side of the screen.
- Use tanks effectively: Use the small tank for speed and rapid fire, and the large tank for long-range fire and protection against enemy attacks. Avoid driving over large rocks and remain on clear sections to maximize your tank’s mobility.
- Prioritize targets: Prioritize taking out enemy tanks first before crossing bridges or attempting to take out the enemy fort. Enemy tanks can be a serious threat, and taking them out can also increase your score.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Watch out for land mines, boulders, and other hazards that can cause damage or block your path. Keep an eye on the edges of the play field as it narrows, and move to the left side of the screen when necessary.
- Practice makes perfect: The more you play Front Line, the better you will become at it. Learn from your mistakes and experiment with different strategies to find what works best for you.
By following these tips and tricks, you should be able to survive longer and increase your score in Front Line. Good luck!
Thanks for reading! Here at PrimeTime Amusements, we like to keep ahead of the curve in arcade game rental and sales and pride ourselves in providing the best service in the country. If you’re looking for a game in particular, or have a few questions about the industry, feel free to give us a call at 1.800.550.0090 or to swing by at 5300 Powerline Rd. Suite 210, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, 33309.